Yesterday I had a little breakthrough about some ballet technique things. When doing port de bras, I find that leading with your triceps while stretching them out makes my arms look nicer. Before when I tried to lengthen my arms, I thought more of the elbow and fingertips. Bad, bad, bad!
Also, when turning out it helps to not only think of your legs corkscrewing (like a barber’s pole), but having the feeling of pulling your thighs away fom each other, or out.
I am not in a ballet class right now, but rather I did the NYCB workout on DVD. I like it, especially the floor barre. Because the movements are more simple than what I am used to, I can focus more on proper technique and getting rid of bad habits. For example, at one part of the DVD you are instructed to lay o the floor an your side. Lifting both feet up, you draw your foot up to retire and down to fifth position. Soon the “supporting” leg becomes tired, being constantly engaged. Immediately, I made this connection with pulling up in my upper legs, something I struggle with especially on pointe.
I did the NYCB workout today instead of P90X because one of the DVDs doesn’t work in my DVD player! How crappy is that? This aside, P90X is going well. Unfortunately, I feel so sore the next day, I can hardly move. Perhaps I am doing something wrong. Am I pushing too hard? Am I not eating right? I am nor sure.
Speaking of eating, it is now my mission to make peace with myself. It sure isn’t easy! I don’t want my food choices to be out of hatred to myself, but out of love. Honestly, there is no reason to hate myself. Unfortunately, Often I get trapped in this terrible inner dialogue that is harsh and defeating. It is addicting; why is this so? I want to change this, and am really taking yoga ethics seriously. Meditation is a skill I (attempt to) practice as well. Live in the present baby! If I can learn these skills, I am sure it will take my dancing to a whole new level!

0 comments:
Post a Comment